I first heard about the law of attraction from a friend in late 2013. According to Wikipedia: ‘The law of attraction is the name given to the term that “like attracts like” and that by focusing on positive or negative thoughts, one can bring about positive or negative results.’
I remember when ‘the secret’ first came out around 2006 and heard some kind of wild idea that if you think about something long enough you can manifest it into your life. I knew that Oprah featured a book that was a best seller but I didn’t really pay attention, I never watched the movie or read the book, I thought it was just some crazy fantasy.
For some reason when my new work friend mentioned the law of attraction to me in 2013 I became really curious. She believed she had experienced some good in her life because of it so I read the book. I quite liked the book and thought it was a nice idea to be practicing gratitude and being thankful for all that I have in my life. My friend then told me there was a move which I downloaded from iTunes. After that I was hooked. I started practicing the law of attraction religiously. I was thankful and positive from the moment I woke up to the moment I went to bed. My whole life started to improve. My relationship with my partner, friends and family was better, work less stressful, clients less demanding, my financial situation completely turned around from being in debt to having savings. Life was amazing. I listened to the audio books while driving in my car and read ‘the magic’ before going to sleep each night. I made a list of all the things I wanted to achieve, this is my list from January 2014, the crossed out ones are items I achieved:
1. Unexpected money for a deposit on a house.
I never got unexpected money for a deposit on a house but my financial situation improved dramatically. At that time I owed $7000 on a credit card. I had been struggling with credit card debt since I first got a credit card at 19 years old. By June 2014 I had no credit card debt and had $10,000 in savings.
2. Partner proposing to me.
I am now engaged!
3. Free hotel upgrade on holiday.
The free hotel upgrade was to the honeymoon suite at a resort in Malaysia.
4. Free business class flight upgrade.
Not this time!
5. Kirby’s hair growing back thicker.
Kirby’s hair started growing back thicker after he had lost most of it, almost instantly.
6. Lose 5KG
I previously used to be on a roller coaster with my weight. I fluctuated often but in 2014 I lost 5Kg and have managed to keep it off.
7. Work promotion to office manager.
I was promoted to office manager!
8. Have an assistant at work.
I also got an assistant!
9. Awesome relationship with partner and friends
My relationships with friends, co-workers and my partner definitely improved.
10. Clear skin.
My skin did clear up.
So does the law of attraction really work?
I believe there is a lot of strength in being positive and changing your patterns of thinking. I am going to practice the law of attraction again.
Every day I will:
1. Do 100 days of happiness on Instagram.
2. In the car whilst driving I will listen to ‘the secret’ audio.
3. I will write in my gratitude journal the 5 items I want to achieve.
4. Throughout the day I will imagine my list of achievements has already come true.
5. Before going to sleep I will think of 10 things I am grateful for that happened during the day.
6. I will not try to problem solve or guess how these things will come about, I will leave it to the universe to bring them to me.
7. I will be consistent and specific in my thinking patterns about the 5 items I want to achieve.
Wish me luck!!
xx That Gypsy Mum xx