I originally made this as an appetizer for a Mexican pot luck dinner with friends. It’s basically a ‘chilli cheese dip’ but chilli con queso sounds way better. Today I had a craving and it took less than 10 minutes to make. Next time I will halve the ingredients because it was so yummy I ate it all by myself and felt sick afterwards.
- Chilli flakes to taste
- 20g butter
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 150ml sour cream
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tbs diced jalapenos
- 1 tbs chopped coriander (optional)
- Melt butter in saucepan on low heat. Add the crushed garlic and cook for one minute, stirring gently. Add chilli flakes to taste and stir for a further 30 seconds.
- Add cheese & sour cream, stir until melted.
- Stir through jalapenos and coriander if using.
- Pour into serving bowl and serve with corn chips or carrot sticks.
- As soon as you take the dip off the heat it will start to thicken, if left out too long it will harden so best to eat it straight away or keep warm until ready to serve.
- I found this recipe quite mild so use more or less chilli flakes and jalapenos according to your taste. Best to start with less and taste test because you can always add more at the end.
- Cook on low heat so it doesn’t boil and stir dip consistently.